Sunday, January 9, 2011

Church

I finally made plans to try a few churches out with a friend who lives close-by.  So it's week #1 and her little one ends up with quite a fever.  I pick another church that was on our list that has a more welcoming feel online and it's less than a mile from the house.  We've never been to this church before, but I've researched it online and we're on our way;  just me and my kiddos.
We arrive and my heels are sinking into the grass the whole walk from the parking lot (we were in overflow parking in the grass) to the church.  We enter and I have butterflies... who knew church could do that to you, it's CHURCH.  I find a 'Welcome Center' and I didn't even need to speak, the two older women starting talking and talked us all of the way to the Children's Check In area.  


Once I filled out the forms I took Lex & Luke to their classes.  Alexyss knew someone in the class from her school so she happily went inside.  Luke, who is NEVER away from me, got to his class and stood still.  He looked around, took it all in, and glued himself to my leg.  The gentleman in charge of this class explained that himself and a woman are usually in here, but today it's just him.  Luke's not so sure.  I take him over to some boys playing with play-doh and that was it... he was not leaving this room, no way, no how.  And I, for once, was free to go.


Off to church I went, butterflies fluttering like crazy.  I find a seat and away we went.   I picked up Luke first, who was happily cleaning up and ready to go.  Then we headed towards the kids' worship room where grades K-6 were all waiting for their parents.  Luke looked at something on the wall and came back over my way... but wrapped his arms around the woman in front of me.  When I called for him he broke down in tears.  


I keep reminding myself, "Baby Steps, Baby Steps."  He will adjust, we'll get through this.  He's excited to go again next week, as is Alexyss who complained that I didn't leave her in class long enough.  LoL.  She asked why church only comes around once a week... so I think it's safe to assume she enjoyed herself.  


We may have found a church on the first try, how awesome would that be?  We'll see how the next few weeks play out and we'll go from there.  :-)


And I leave you with this;  Matthew 6:34
May it have as much meaning for you as it did for me this morning.




Oh, And Go EAGLES! 

No comments:

Post a Comment